[Ecls-list] About the myth of slow starting

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:13:20 UTC 2010

I wasn't aware ECL had a reputation for slow startup times. It
certainly starts up fast enough for my purposes. On the other hand,
perhaps just to play devil's advocate, I'd argue that if it takes long
enough to measure, it's slow. After all, it hasn't done any useful
work for the user yet at that point. It hardly seems like something
worth optimizing, though.

Incidentally, it doesn't start so quickly on Mac OS X (tested on my
Core i5 Macbook Pro):

$ uname -a
Darwin Mothership.local 10.3.1 Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.1: Mon Mar
22 15:13:15 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.3.52~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
$ time ecl -norc -eval '(quit)'

real	0m0.136s
user	0m0.098s
sys	0m0.026s