[Ecls-list] patch *translate-pathname-hook* Was: debugging ecl?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 3 18:45:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb at informatimago.com
> wrote:

> Anyways, a suggestion from Geo Carncross, and my preference with lisp
> coding over C coding, made me implement a lighter and more general
> solution, namely a hook in TRANSLATE-PATHNAME.[...]
> This allows me to implement the downcasing of logical pathnames as:

Would it be ok if instead of adding the hook I just code a proper fix for
logical pathnames? I have uploaded a possible version that does two things:

- Logical pathnames are always uppercased. This is actually mandated by the
ANSI specification but was traditionally ignored by ECL.

- When translating logical pathnames ECL uses the conventions of case
:common This means that uppercase names are converted to whatever is the
preferred case of your system, which in ECL is always lowercase.

The sum of both fixes makes ECL more compliant and closer to other lisps and
fortunately does not break ECL itself -- though I am not so sure about other
people's code

http://tream.dreamhosters.com