[Ecls-list] debugging ecl?

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Jun 1 08:51:48 UTC 2010

I'm trying to patch ecl (I'd want it to behave like clisp translating
logical pathnames, downcasing the full uppercase names on unix
systems).

Unfortunately, it seems that I wrote bugs, since build/ecl_min breaks
when I invoke the code I modified:

[pjb at kuiper :0.0 ecl]$ build/ecl_min
;*** Lisp core booted ****
ECL (Embeddable Common Lisp)

> (setf (logical-pathname-translations "TEST") '(("TEST:**;*.*" "/tmp/**/*.*")))

Internal or unrecoverable error in:

Lisp initialization error.

  [22: Invalid argument]
Aborted
[pjb at kuiper :0.0 ecl]$

How should I proceed to debug ecl_min?

I tried gdb on ecl_min, but it fails miserably:

(gdb) handle SIGSEGV pass nostop
Signal        Stop	Print	Pass to program	Description
SIGSEGV       No	Yes	Yes		Segmentation fault
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/pjb/src/planner-ecl/ecl/build/ecl_min ./build/ecl_min
[New Thread 0x7f0a3e2436f0 (LWP 26772)]
[New Thread 0x7f0a3cf6a910 (LWP 26775)]
;*** Lisp core booted ****
ECL (Embeddable Common Lisp)

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
The program no longer exists.
(gdb) quit

Is using printf the only way?