[Ecls-list] Minor LOOP REPEAT related note

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Thu Jul 15 21:48:36 UTC 2010

Hi again,

This is not of critical importance as it relates to optimization;

I noticed that when using the following:

(loop for i of-type fixnum from 0 to 1000000 ...

for instance, the LOOP expansion once compiled in C is impressively
optimized, with inline addition and comparision of I.

However, with:

(loop repeat 1000000 ...

I see in the C code that it knows that the maximum value is a fixnum,
and it decreases from 1000000 to 0, but by using ecl_minus() etc.

I'm not familiar at all with the involved code, but I wanted to make
sure this was known in case it's the result of a minor compiler or loop
expansion issue, especially considering the recent compiler
improvements.

Thanks,
--
Matt