[Ecls-list] long-long

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 4 13:30:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>wrote:

> I wasn't yet hit by this case as I had no 64-bit API using long long to
> deal with (NetBSD lseek(2) using a 64-bit off_t (a quad_t, itself a
> typedef to int64_t)).  But long long as been in use for a long time in
> the C world and it ideally should be supported everywhere the C
> compiler allows them...  I'm wondering however, on 64-bit architectures
>  with an ABI where long is 64-bit, is long long a 128-bit type?

ECL supports "long long" whenever the compiler allows it.

Regarding the other question, ECL just follows the C naming convention.
Expecting long, int, long long or any other integer type to have a certain
size is simply not right. If you want portable code for that, use uint*_t,
int*_t, the C99 integer types. In any other case, just use the types which
are specified by the C header -- autoconf might help for that.