[Ecls-list] What would be the cause of "Error when copying file from"?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 1 22:11:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Pascal J. Bourguignon <
pjb at informatimago.com> wrote:

> But I guess this concerns only MS-Windows, and not unix systems, where
> we could have a simplier algorithm.  Or does this depend on the file
> system?

No, this also has to done in Unix systems, because of dlopen() which
functions strictly based on filenames. In other words, if file foo.fas is
loaded it will refuse to load it a second time. Depending on the operating
system it may also refuse to load symlinks. And in some Unices I have found
that loaded files also can not be deleted. Unfortunately POSIX does not
specify any of this and thus the current system seems to be the only
foolproof one.

> Now that I think about it, perhaps I did something wrong.  I noticed a
> lot of ecl "temporary" files in /tmp, and I removed them wholesale.
> Perhaps I should wait to quit all ECL processes before cleaning up
> /tmp?

Ideally, this should not be a problem. ECL uses mkstemp to determine
temporary file names and the operating system is guaranteed to provide
unique names in a way that multiple processes can coexist.