[Ecls-list] ECL HEAD + Slime HEAD

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Wed Feb 17 03:06:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:39:16 +0700
Andy Hefner <ahefner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think ECL is stable with multiple threads running. I
> frequently compile ECL with threading enabled, but never use more than
> one thread.

I did a some multithreading tests which seemed to work quite well with
ECL 9.8.3, although it was with rather minimal code and outside of
slime, since slime would not deal gracefully with threads then.  The
code also carefully used mutexes where required.  The number of
concurrent threads were from 16 to 64 and the test was a simple
HTTP-compatible server using the native sockets, to use Apache's ab(8)
on (i.e. runs of "ab -c64 -n10000 http://127.0.0.1/").

I wanted to reproduce the tests with ECL 10.x.x although currently
there now is a problem where the new bidirectional sockets can no
longer be closed.  I'm currently writing a rather complete unix
syscalls FFI suite for ECL spare-time, and am making sure to use
thread-safe interfaces, so hopefully I can soon try more serious
testing with threads and my own socket interface...
--
Matt