[Ecls-list] Question #1

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 15 20:23:37 UTC 2010

It has been suggested to me that I should use a version number with a finer
granularity than the current release code, ideally increasing with _every_
commit.

I see some problems with this. One is that the release number is stored now
in configure, configure.in and msvc/Makefile, so every increase implies
changing three files. This could be solved by creating a fourth file,
VERSION, in src/util or somewhere, which stores the last decimal in the
release number and which should be updated with every commit and emptied for
releases.

The other problem is that maintaining this additional file implies quite
some additional work and control on my side. I tried this before and did not
succeed. An alternative is having hooks in .git that automatically upgrade
the file, but so far I have been unable to achieve this: the hooks are run
before commits, indeed, but they can not change the list of files that are
committed.

A final, perhaps better solution, would be to test for the existence of both
the .git directory and the "git" program itself and encode the last commit
date in a final version number. This would mean that users of releases or
CVS would not get to see those extra release numbers.