[Ecls-list] ECL 10.2.1 RC

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Feb 13 12:24:52 UTC 2010

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll writes:

> The current git tree is considered release candidate. If nobody speaks
> against it I will produce a formal release during the weekend.
>
> Juanjo

There are some minor aesthetics points regarding ECL's compiler output:

  i) I'd prefer it if ECL emits a newline before

       ;;; Compiling /home/tcr/...

     so you can tell apart what output refers to what file more easily.

     That said, it might be tricky (ugly) to not emit a newline for the
     very first file to be compiled.

 ii) Consider

;;; Warning: in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 12578 and top form
;;;   (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT (DEBUGGER-LOOP-FN) ...)
;;; Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP
;;; Warning: in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 13834 and top form
;;;   (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGER-HOOK (HOOK FUN) ...)
;;; Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP

     It's hard to tell apart the actual message of the warning from the
     rest. Perhaps the following format is more readable?

;;; Warning:
;;;   at (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT (DEBUGGER-LOOP-FN) ...)
;;;   in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 12578:
;;;     "Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP"
;;; Warning:
;;;   at (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGER-HOOK (HOOK FUN) ...)
;;;   in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 13834:
;;;     "Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP"

     Also I think *PRINT-LENGTH* of 2 is enough to print toplevel forms,
     so we'd get to:

;;; Warning:
;;;   at (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT ...)
;;;   in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 12578:
;;;     "Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP"
;;; Warning:
;;;   at (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGER-HOOK ...)
;;;   in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 13834:
;;;     "Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP"

     Another idea, instead of using quotes is to prefix-line the
     printing of the actual messages by >, so you'd get

;;; Warning:
;;;   at (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT ...)
;;;   in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 12578:
;;;      > Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP
;;;      > another line of the message
;;; Warning:
;;;   at (DEFIMPLEMENTATION CALL-WITH-DEBUGGER-HOOK ...)
;;;   in file swank-ecl.lisp, position 13834:
;;;     > Too few arguments for proclaimed function IHS-TOP
;;;     > another line of the message

  iii) The message:

         ;;; In function CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT, checking types of arguments DEBUGGER-LOOP-FN.

       is printed in one long line. The message should probably be
       emitted with ~@<...~@:>.

  iv) Printing the toplevel form is suboptimal if the toplevel form was
      something like

         #+ecl
         (progn
           (def ...)

That said, I think all of this can wait for the next release.

  -T.