[Ecls-list] Arglist?

szergling senatorzergling at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:04:27 UTC 2010

On 2/8/10, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> ECL does not normally store information about a compiled function lambda
> list, just for economy reasons -- it is not used anywhere in ECL, not even
> in the debugger because function arguments are directly registered by the
> function at run time if debug settings are large enough.
>
> If such a function is really needed we would have to add an option to the
> compiler so that it stores the lambda list or even the function code, though
> the latter would be questionable, given the bloat that would result.  In any
> case it would not be that difficult.

Not sure if you all know about this, but clisp does it through
the declaration mechanism:

http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/declarations.html#space-decl

I'm not sure if this is better than a dynamic variable, which seems
more versatile to me, though that's probably because of CL's
lack of native support for the convenient use (eg temporary
change to optimization levels) of compilation settings.

Yong.