[Ecls-list] ECL can't find asdf:make-build??

Paul ecls-list at pdw.org.uk
Thu Feb 11 20:43:48 UTC 2010

Hi List,

I'm fairly new to Lisp, and even newer to ECL, so I fully expect this
to be my fault and not ECL's.  I'm trying to follow the manual
examples at http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/ch16s03.html and am
getting stuck at the (asdf:make-build ... ) line.

For some reason, my ECL session just can't find that function.  I can
see it in the ECL sources (in contrib/asdf/asdf-ecl.lisp), and I've
googled for an hour or so to no avail.  I've also tried this in a
newer version (9.6.1) on another machine, and get with just the same
error.  0.9j just happens to be on the machine I'm e-mailing from.

So, what's wrong with this:

me at keyboard:/home/me/tmp$ ecl
ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 0.9j (CVS 2008-02-16 11:33)
Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
Copyright (C) 2000 Juan J. Garcia-Ripoll
ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
Type :h for Help.  Top level.
> (require 'asdf)
NIL
> (asdf:make-build)
Cannot find the external symbol MAKE-BUILD in #<"ASDF" package>.
Broken at EVAL.No restarts available.
Broken at EVAL.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on this box, and Ubuntu 9.10 on the other, and
have just installed the `ecl' package in both cases and typed "ecl".

Anyone care to put me out of my misery?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul.