[Ecls-list] GCC's builtins

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:11:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis <
gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> Indeed.  But, if you do, please make sure it is prefixed (e.g. ecl_likely.)
> Some systems tend to define such macros -- I ran into that issue about
> 4 years ago.

I am going to use ecl_likely and ecl_unlikely. Currently I am also using
__attribute__ but will move towards ECL_NORETURN, ECL_PURE or something like
that.

> BTW, GCC attributes can make codes very ugly to read.  I don't have
> a general remedy for that, except adopting the style we use in GCC's own
> source code.

The expectations are the ugliest part. Attributes of functions can be
constrained to headers and are not that harmful. By the way, are you
familiar with the problem of __attribute__((noreturn)) and longjmp that I
mentioned before? Is GCC >= 4.x safe in this respect?