[Ecls-list] Running ECL Under Java

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:04:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM, David Scuse <scuse at cs.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

>  I have been attempting to get ECL to run under Java
> but I keep getting the error message:
> "An unrecoverable stack overflow has occurred."
> The error occurs in GC_init(); in alloc_2.c.

GC_init() is not part of ECL, but part of a library, the Boehm-Weiser
garbage collector, which is included and used by ECL. What I mean by this is
that one would have to debug it to see the precise reason of the failure.

I suspect though, that Java is not letting the garbage collector allocate
all the memory it wants, or setting up signal handlers required for
efficient memory scanning, or other stuff that is probably too low level for
what the JNI expects.

But those are just conjectures: it may be a simpler problem which building
with ECL_DEBUG=1 and debugging in vcexpress.exe should reveal -- if java
allows it, of course.