[Ecls-list] *default-pathname-defaults* and compilation

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 24 14:26:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis <
gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> That is correct.  And also because, when cross-compiling, we want to emit
> pathnames short enough for the build environment to recognize.  I had
> assumed
> (and at the time, that seemed to be correct) that EL started the compiler
> relative to the current working directory.  Was that assumption incorrect?

Yes, relative to the "current working directory", but this is a process
property (Windows, Unix...). Common Lisp has a separate notion, which is the
*default-pathname-defaults*, that is independent of that. This is what
causes problems, because if *default-pathname-defaults* is changed that does
not mean that the compiler is going to be launched relative to it -- well,
that was until my latest fix: now ECL has a look first at *d-p-d* and if it
is a valid directory, it launches the compiler there.