[Ecls-list] Project status

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:29:51 UTC 2010

I am spending a lot of time in the automated tests right now. Back to the
use of virtualbox, I had to work hard on optimizing it to avoid having 6
virtual machines running all the time. Now it seems VirtualBox has become
very reliable and it is possible to launch and poweroff virtual images just
for running a single ECL build, what makes it possible to keep the whole
process in a smaller computer. In addition to this I got temporary access to
a cluster running on PPC, and on Itanium, but these become quite frequently
off-line (they are very unreliable), a failure condition which again I
managed to include in the tests.

The status:

* Two typos have been fixed which only affected the 32-bit tests and
particular compilers.
* About 10 new errors popped up in the pretty printer, and I am working on
them. I suspect they are due to some patches I accepted recently.
* The addition of the PPC/32bit platform showed that there are still some
issues with floating point signals. I suspect we will have to drop all use
of feenableexcept() and rely on fenv.h where available.
* Again for the PPC, there are some problems with floating point accuracy,
and I still do not know whether they are related to the C library, the
compiler or to ECL.

The goal:

* Restore automated tests of Axiom, Maxima, and some libraries.
* Fix those fixes, and no more.
* Produce a release before the end of the month.

Best