[Ecls-list] Type propagation

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 11 22:27:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Alexander Gavrilov <angavrilov at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, I've finally got around to this, and after some investigation
> implemented it using the static constant facility in cmpwt.lsp
> instead:

There are two problems with the static constant facility.

1) Not all compilers allow initialization of global constants in a
complicated way. MSVC chokes on many of the expressions we produce for lisp
constants.

2) Static constants are not allocated in the heap. That is a huge problem I
did not realize until recently, because if a constant in a loaded file is
still referenced _after_ the binary file is garbage collected and unloaded,
then we have a problem. I am looking for a solution, but currently it seems
disabling static constants is the only possibility.