[Ecls-list] More on ASDF

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 12 23:29:49 UTC 2010

I have began a careful study of which packages are susceptible to be built
with ECL's extensions.

The analysis is simple minded and does not care about the package actually
compiling, but rather about the system definition itself.

For instance, this is what I obtain from the packages in libcl

;;;
;;; Total packages:        205
;;; Ok packages:           75
;;; Wrong packages:
;;;   Multiple defsystems: 41
;;;   Defpackage forms:    95
;;;   Defmethod forms:     37
;;;   Defclass forms:      11
;;;   Unknown forms:       117
;;;   Eval-when forms:     6
;;;
;;;   Perform after:       16
;;;   Test operation:      40
;;;

Some of the errors are probably harmless -- for instance the existence of
multiple systems, test operations, etc --, but some others may be not:
eval-when forms, defclasses and most worringly systems that use the *.asd
file to create the packages they need ... arghh

But what is one to expect when the most used implementation has a system
definition beginning with this:

(cl:eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel :execute)
  (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :sb-grovel))
(defpackage #:sb-posix-system (:use #:asdf #:cl #:sb-grovel))
(in-package #:sb-posix-system)

http://tream.dreamhosters.com