[Ecls-list] Looking for ideas to help reduce initialization time in cl_boot()

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Thu Oct 29 19:26:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:03:00 -0700
Ram Krishnan <kriyative at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using ECL for an embedded application, and it's been working
> very well (thanks to the developers/maintainers for an excellent
> embeddable Lisp system). However, the initial start up time in cl_boot()
> is quite high (as much as 8-10s, which is high for my deployment
> environment), and I'm looking for suggestions to help reduce this.

I agree that the startup time is slow if for instance ECL is used to
create commands which should be started from a non-CL shell, there
probably is room for improvement in that area.  Is your application of
that nature?

Otherwise, considering the dynamic and interactive nature of CL, another
possibility would be to keep a daemon running which then can serve
incomming requests in an RPC-like manner, or to integrate a custom REPL
as necessary, and interactively modify it instead of having to relaunch
it at every modification...
--
Matt