[Ecls-list] Trigger action when data structure is updated?

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 21:52:22 UTC 2009

I'm currently designing a small pet application which has a important 3D
visualization component, which consists basically of rendering models composed
of points, lines, surfaces and a set of geometric solids, and I want to be
able to operate on that data through a scripting language.

In order to simplify the design, I'm exploring the idea of storing all
information related to the models directly as a set of data structures managed
by the scripting language's interpreter. Yet, in order for that to work I
would also need to have a way to warn the underlying application if a data
structure was updated in order to act on the change. For example, if the user
tweaks the data structures by adding a new line, move point through space or
delete elements, I would need the underlying application to act on those
changes and update the model's rendering.

As my experience with ecl is extremely limited and as ecl's manual and wiki
aren't very informative I don't have a clue if that feature is possible to
implement or if there is any acceptable workaround for that problem.

So, what are your thoughts on this issue?

Rui Maciel