[Ecls-list] ECL and Alchemy

Anthony Fairchild fairchild.anthony at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:28:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>wrote:

> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll writes:
>
> > About flash, I would say that is simply impossible. I mean, the thing
> > is ECL is a low level implementation of Common Lisp using C as
> > assembly language. There are lot of things done that require efficient
> > compilation of the resulting code. To make a crude analogy, it is as
> > if you ask whether it is possible to use Adobe's C/C++ compiler to
> > compile Firefox or Emacs to flash.
>
> IIRC (and FWIW), they managed to compile Doom to Flash. :-)

I only asked because there have been other languages ported to Flash via
Alchemy.  Lua is one of them.  I realize ECL is a big beast compared to Lua.
  I might start with something a bit simpler, like Lisp500 so I can get an
idea of what the limitations of Alchemy are and how much I would have to
rewrite to make it work.

Thanks!