[Ecls-list] ECL and Alchemy

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 7 08:00:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Anthony Fairchild
<fairchild.anthony at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried to compile ECL using Adobe's Alchemy?  Alchemy is a
> C/C++ to ActionScript converter used for porting C/C++ code to Flash.
> On a similar note, has anyone tried to compile ECL using /clr:safe with the
> MSVC compiler?   The benefit of this would be the ability to plug ECL into a
> Silverlight app or an XNA (XBox) game.

/clr:safe only compiles verifiable code. ECL manges its own memory,
using pointers and access to raw memory. That code would definitely
not compile with /clr:safe. That means you would somehow have to
rewrite ECL to reuse whatever memory management and object allocation
/ creation the Microsoft runtime provides.

About flash, I would say that is simply impossible. I mean, the thing
is ECL is a low level implementation of Common Lisp using C as
assembly language. There are lot of things done that require efficient
compilation of the resulting code. To make a crude analogy, it is as
if you ask whether it is possible to use Adobe's C/C++ compiler to
compile Firefox or Emacs to flash.