[Ecls-list] API issues in the latest git version on Win32 MSVC

Greg Santucci thecodewitch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:40:22 UTC 2009

I downloaded the latest git snapshot to give it a try. Here are my results:

1) In the debug build (ECL_DEBUG = 1 in Makefile) ECL code can't be stepped
through from the Visual Studio debugger anymore.

2) si_safe_eval(3, form, Cnil, evalErrorSymbol) evaluates the form, but
always returns evalErrorSymbol. cl_eval(form) seems to work normally.

On the positive side:

1) Lispbuilder-sdl and cl-opengl compiles and runs with ECL (ECL could
always load these libraries, but couldn't compile them until now).

Note: I didn't try the latest versions of those libraries, and I had to
manually do a lot of massaging of lisp files in those packages, such as
breaking long lisp files into smaller ones, due to the 64kb limit on strings
enforced by the MSVC compiler. One long lisp file consisted of a single call
to the cffi function defcenum, so I wrote defcenum-append to continue the
definition of a c enum in another lisp source file.

2) The multithreading feature works - I can alter forms while other threads
are running. This is awesome.

My current fallback build:

The build which I already have and works well for Win32 MSVC ECL embedded
work is the June 29th 2009 build.

Regards,
Greg