[Ecls-list] ECL build issues on Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Oct 6 19:26:33 UTC 2009

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
>> This shows a list of machines in which ECL is being regularly built.
>> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/logs.html
>> One of the regular builds indeed comes from a machine donated by Sun
>> to the Sage project.
>>
>> I must say all progress in the Solaris camp has been done thanks to
>> Dave's kind contribution, both in software and in time devoted to
>> install, configure and test ECL in those and other machines.
>

> Would you be interested in adding HP-UX to your supported platforms?
>
> I would like to see a port of Sage to HP-UX, and have an HP-UX box of my
> own, which I could give you access too. However, it would not be
> suitable for your build farm, as like my personal Sun you used, it would
> be on an ADSL line. As such, I could compile and give you bug reports,
> and where necessary you could log in yourself.
>

> Dave

Just to let you know, I tried to build the latest CVS snapshot on HP-UX
11iB, and it looked to be going very well, using the GNU compiler and
HP's make. Finally it did fail, but that was only because it could not
find 'yacc'.

         /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -fPIC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I. -I/home/drkirkby/ecl/src/gmp/scanf -I.. -D__GMP_WITHIN_GMP
-I/home/drkirkby/ecl/src/gmp     -g -O2 -fPIC  -c -o vsscanf.lo
/home/drkirkby/ecl/src/gmp/scanf/vsscanf.c
  gcc -fPIC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/home/drkirkby/ecl/src/gmp/scanf -I..
-D__GMP_WITHIN_GMP -I/home/drkirkby/ecl/src/gmp -g -O2 -fPIC -c
/home/drkirkby/ecl/src/gmp/scanf/vsscanf.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o vsscanf.o
         /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -fPIC  -g -O2 -fPIC     -o
libscanf.la   doscan.lo fscanf.lo fscanffuns.lo  scanf.lo sscanf.lo
sscanffuns.lo vfscanf.lo  vscanf.lo vsscanf.lo
mkdir .libs
ar cq .libs/libscanf.a  doscan.o fscanf.o fscanffuns.o scanf.o sscanf.o
sscanffuns.o vfscanf.o vscanf.o vsscanf.o
ranlib .libs/libscanf.a
creating libscanf.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libscanf.la && ln -s ../libscanf.la libscanf.la)
Making install in cxx
Making install in mpbsd
Making install in demos
Making install in calc
         yacc  -d /home/drkirkby/ecl/src/gmp/demos/calc/calc.y
Make: Cannot load yacc.  Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

So I don't know if you have tried HP-UX before, but it seems like any
problems would be minimal. But perhaps your configure script should
check for 'yacc'. There is no 'bison' on this machine either. I assume
such a test could easily be added to configure.ac