[Ecls-list] Latest changes, 5/10/2009

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 13:39:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Samium Gromoff
<_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru> wrote:
> From: Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com>
>>  - ECL now embeds the manifest file in the generated executables and shared
>>    libraries.
>
> Hurrah! Thank you a lot for this one!

I must say that the only reason I did not do this before was because
of mere ignorance. Since VS 2005 there have appeared a great deal of
new files (*.ilk, *.pdb, *.manifest, *.lib, *.exp...) that are
generated by one or another phase of the build process, and in
particular the manifest files seem to be now _essential_ to even load
the shared libraries.

There are still some problems left with the Windows port, in case
someone cares ;-)

- Redistribution issues. What libraries have to be distributed with
ECL/MSVC and how?
- Nasty compiler / linker messages that are not suppressed (Like
"Creating ... and object ...")
- Better selection of compiler / linker flags. Are the ones now
available optimal?
- Default, compiler-less mode for distribution. More precisely, the
mode I introduced before in which COMPILE and COMPILE-FILE operate on
bytecodes.
- Memoization of compiler location and flags. Otherwise, when ECL is
invoked it does not know how to compile.
- Integration of libffi in the sources, so that we can completely drop
the old FFI.
- Porting of condition variables.