[Ecls-list] Memory problems during IO

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 29 22:24:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Waldek Hebisch
<hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> I have problem reading modertely large (76 MB) input file
> using FriCAS.  I am geting  the following message:
>
> Memory limit reached. Please jump to an outer pointer, quit program and
> enlarge the memory limits before executing the program again.
>
> I am using CVS version from about 3 weeks ago.  The machine is Core
> 2 with 8 GB of ram running 64-bit Fedora 9.

The problem is not with I/O, but rather with the fact that you hit the
memory limits creating a file with about 200Mb of non-eq strings. The
memory eaten by a 64-bits system in that case is much larger than the
one required for a 32-bits system. I just increased the limits to 1Gb
for 32 bits and 4 Gb for 64 bits.