[Ecls-list] [Suggestion] Caching expansion of type-specifier

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Sun Nov 29 18:00:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> How can ECL decide to cache a DEFTYPE form? I mean, the following is
> utterly absurd, but it may well happen:
>
> (deftype foo () (declare (special *foo-expansion*)) *foo-expansion*)

Could not ECL keep a cache of a conservatively approximated side-effect
free deftypes?  For example, any reference to a special variable or non
constant could qualify for non-side-effect free.

Even the general thing could be very complicated, there are some
low-hanging fruits to have...

-- Gaby