[Ecls-list] How to debug executables?

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 04:03:17 UTC 2009

I'm presently building an application compiled to an executable using
ECL from recent CVS and c:build-program with an :epilogue-code which
calls my main function. The lisp portions are compiled using
compile-file :system-p t (to produce .o rather than .fasl files),
following one of the ECL examples. Currently I'm testing on x86 Linux.
This works well, but I'm not sure how to debug the resulting program.
By default, there seems to be no error handling in place, and errors
in lisp code cause segfaults or lockups. Ideally I'd like to print a
backtrace or get into the lisp debugger, so I wrapped my main in a
handler-bind catching serious-conditions and calling
cl:invoke-debugger. This gets me a debugger (provided I set
system::*break-enable* to T somewhere), but the backtrace has only one
entry, "SI:BYTECODES [Evaluation of: (G1:MAIN)]". Is there a way to
get more information from ECL (perhaps I should build my program in a
different way)?