[Ecls-list] ECL support for cl-launch and xcvb

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 19:58:26 UTC 2009

I'm trying to ensure ECL will work with cl-launch (using 2.32 from
git) and xcvb, but am experiencing weird issues, using either 9.6.1 or
9.10.2 from debian.

I run tests from an empty scratch directory, and sometimes rm -rf
~/.cache/common-lisp/ecl* because in earlier versions of ECL it helped
avoid weird deadlocks:
   cl-launch -l ecl -B tests

With 9.6.1, I run until test 174 where it tries to from a previously
dumped image, and si:getenv always returns NIL (possibly using the
environ pointer from previous run?). The --image feature is new, so
this is not a regression.

With 9.10.2, I fail at test 73 when I first try to dump an image and
resume from it. Apparently, the primitive (si:quit 0) fails miserably,
I get plenty of "No restarts available." before ECL seems to run out
of stack and go into weirder lower-level errors. The --dump feature
used to work, so this is a regression. I note that even in a normal
ecl, si:quit quits but fails to yield the specified return code:
/usr/lib/ecl/ecl-original -q -eval '(si:quit 23)' ; echo $?
0

It may or may not be related, but with 9.10.2 I also get a lot of warnings:
;;; Variable .COMBINED-METHOD-ARGS. was undefined. Compiler assumes it
is a global.

cl-launch has a love-hate relationship with ECL. ECL was the first
implementation for which I could produce reliable standalone
executables. But it is also an implementation where weird things
happen, and features are randomly broken from one revision to the
next. I think ECL is great in many ways, because it's so different
from other CL implementations, which extends the domain of
applicability of CL, but also sometimes makes it harder to work it.
I'd like to support it in cl-launch and xcvb, but I am currently at
loss at what approach to use to debug such issues.

How should I go about getting it to work?

The question "Who ought to be boss?" is like as "Who ought to be the tenor in
the quartet?" Obviously, the man who can sing tenor. -- Henry Ford