[Ecls-list] slime with latest head, error Unknown or unsupported external format: ISO-8859-1

Karsten Poeck karsten.poeck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:15:34 UTC 2009

I tried ecl compiled from current cvs head with slime in aquamacs.

If I try Slime compilation compile/load file I get the following error:

Unknown or unsupported external format: ISO-8859-1

This is probably because of
(defvar *coding-system* "iso-latin-1-unix")

and the mapping

(defvar *external-format-to-coding-system*
  '((:iso-8859-1
     "latin-1" "latin-1-unix" "iso-latin-1-unix"
     "iso-8859-1" "iso-8859-1-unix")
    (:utf-8 "utf-8" "utf-8-unix")))

in swank-ecl.lisp

For some reason this translates in a call to open with
(OPEN #P"/Users/karstenpoeck/lisp/combine/load.lisp" :IF-DOES-NOT-EXIST
NIL :EXTERNAL-FORMAT :ISO-8859-1)

and this seems to fail in ecl.

The backtrace shown is not too helpful, so that that I don't know where
the call is coming from.

Some connections seems to work, since in
(defimplementation accept-connection (socket
                                      &key external-format
                                      buffering timeout)
  (declare (ignore buffering timeout external-format))
  (make-socket-io-stream (accept socket)))

the external format is ignored.

My question:

What external-formats are allowed to fix the
(defvar *external-format-to-coding-system*
  '((:iso-8859-1
     "latin-1" "latin-1-unix" "iso-latin-1-unix"
     "iso-8859-1" "iso-8859-1-unix")
    (:utf-8 "utf-8" "utf-8-unix")))
in swank-ecl?

saludos