[Ecls-list] ECL + ContextL?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 2 07:57:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Alexander Gavrilov <angavrilov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is an online version of the spec (or so it seems):
>
>  http://www.lisp.org/mop/concepts.html#inheritance
>
> This table specifies both that 'class' is an abstract
> class, so there should be no instances of it, and that
> funcallable-standard-class inherits directly from class.

Too bad. Then we might have to fake a common ancestor.

> On the other hand, funcallable-standard-object does seem
> to be a subclass of standard-object.

I must admit I sometimes find the AMOP mind-bogling.

> Also, a comment in kernel.lsp says that standard-generic-function
> must be 'first in the class hierarchy'? Does that mean that it must
> actually inherit directly from standard-object, or only that all
> ancestors must not have any slots of their own? The spec says
> that it should inherit from a bunch of abstract classes, e.g.
> funcallable-standard-object.

No, it simply means that if you use (defclass foo (class1 class2 ...
classn) ...) and generic-function is in that list of ancestors, then
it must be class1 The reason is that we need some control on the slot
positioning for ECL's dispatch function to work.