[Ecls-list] Debugging lisp errors while building ECL

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 23:31:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am trying to add a fake compiler to ECL, but I am afraid I have a pretty
poor setup for debugging mistakes I make along the way.  I am running make
on successive iterations of my changes.  Occasionally I get an error while
building ECL like the following:

;*** Lisp core booted ****
ECL (Embeddable Common Lisp)
;;; Compiling src:lsp;export.lsp.
;;; OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=2, Space=3, Speed=3, Debug=0
NIL is not of type VECTOR.
Broken at TOP-LEVEL. File:
#P"/Users/red/Projects/ecl/ecl-git/src/lsp/top.lsp" (Form #26)Available
restarts:
1. (ABORT) ABORT
Top level.

NIL is not of type VECTOR is a very general error and does not help me pin
down where the problem is in the code.  How are you supposed to debug these
types of errors while building ECL?  It would be nice to get at least a
backtrace so I can see where it crashed.

Best regards,
Red Daly