[Ecls-list] ECL 9.3.0 pre-release

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Mon Mar 30 20:48:08 UTC 2009

I have just tried recent ecl from CVS.  On 64-bit Fedora 9 ecl
builds fine.  I have noticed one glitch, the ecl startup
banner says:

ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 9.3.0 (CVS 2008-07-12 18:54)

AFAICS the date after CVS is bogus.

I have also tried to build FriCAS, however build fails.  The
essence of the problem seem to be presenet in the following
little program:

(defun cacheKeyedMsg (file)
  (let ((line "") (msg "") key)
     (with-open-file (in file)
         (setq line (read-line in nil nil))
         (format *standard-output* "line = ~S~%" line)
         (format *standard-output* "schar line 0 = ~S~%" (schar line 0))
         (force-output))))

When I put the above in "ts1.lisp" file and tried:

(load (compile-file "ts1.lisp"))
(cacheKeyedMsg "ts1.lisp")

I got expected output:

line = "(defun cacheKeyedMsg (file)"
schar line 0 = #\(

However, if I lower safety to 1 (which is done during friCAS build)
and retry:

(proclaim '(optimize (safety 1)))
(load (compile-file "ts1.lisp"))
(cacheKeyedMsg "ts1.lisp")

then I got:

line = "(defun cacheKeyedMsg (file)"
schar line 0 = 40

That is, instead of character I got a number.
In FriCAS there similar code, but the expected character is used
in comparison.  It seems that at that point ecl-9.3 based execuatble
crashes, causing build failure.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl