[Ecls-list] ECL on iPhone

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 23:19:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Red Daly <reddaly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ECL has finally made it to the iPhone!
>
> I forgot: Congratulations! :-)
>
> BTW, if you wish I can offer you to post the instructions in the wiki
> so that some other people may be able to build it, as well as to
> provide a script to automate the process (perhaps an option in
> "configure", as we used to have for Solaris before)

Thanks.  I have posted the instructions here:
http://lambdajive.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/common-lisp-on-iphone-ecl-comes-through-at-last/

I think most of the changes could probably be integrated into the main ECL
branch eventually.  However, I upgraded the Boehm garbage collector to the
latest release and then patched it to work with the iPhone.  I believe you
mentioned earlier that there was some reason that you had not upgraded Boehm
to the latest version.

Also, do you know what the status of threading is in general and on the
mac?  I fixed one bug that was crashing ECL when I attempted to start a new
thread.  This is the area of interest in threads.d:

        /* 1) Setup the environment for the execution of the thread */
        pthread_cleanup_push(thread_cleanup, (void *)env);
        // set up the environment pointer first so that we can
associate

        // this environment with the currently executing
pthread
        ecl_set_process_env(env);
        ecl_init_env(env);
        init_big_registers(env);
        ecl_enable_interrupts_env(env);

It was previously something like
        ecl_init_env(env);
        init_big_registers(env);
        ecl_set_process_env(env);
        ecl_enable_interrupts_env(env);

The problem was some function being called by ecl_init_env was trying to
call pthread_getspecific(cl_env_key), but (pthread_setspecific(cl_env_key,
env) had not yet been called for that thread.

thanks, and any help getting all the options working for ECL on iPhone would
be appreciated! :)

Red