[Ecls-list] ECL on iPhone

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:33:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Red Daly <reddaly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > However, I still don't have all the bells and whisltes working correctly.
> > My current problem is getting ASDF to properly compile into ECL.  I
> cannot
> > get ECL to build, even for the i386 Darwin non-cross-compiled version of
> > ECL, when I have ASDF enabled and the --disable-shared flag set in the
> > configuration script.  [...]
> > Any idea what's going on here?  The error message doesn't really tell me
> > much about what's going wrong.  I am even more confused about why the
> > --disable-shared flag makes any difference.
>
> --disable-shared means you cannot compile code and load it. That is
> why ASDF is not building. My question now is, does you iPhone have a C
> compiler? If not then you will have to install a fake version of
> COMPILE-FILE and COMPILE and try to teach ASDF to use it. It might be
> a nice addition to ECL for environments without a C compiler but, as I
> said, it is fake: there will be no compilation going on.

As far as I know, the iPhone does not have a c compiler unless you hack the
phone.  Moreover, calling mprotect() to make a region of writable memory
executable fails, making it pretty much impossible to execute dynamically
loaded instructions.

I will see about making a fake compile-file function that conforms to the
CLHS.

-Red