[Ecls-list] ECL on iPhone

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 06:17:32 UTC 2009

ECL has finally made it to the iPhone!  It took a port of the garbage
collector and a lot of time messing around with configuration settings, but
I have finally built a bare bones version of ECL that runs on the
iPhone/iPod Touch.

However, I still don't have all the bells and whisltes working correctly.
My current problem is getting ASDF to properly compile into ECL.  I cannot
get ECL to build, even for the i386 Darwin non-cross-compiled version of
ECL, when I have ASDF enabled and the --disable-shared flag set in the
configuration script.  I get the following error a ways into the lisp
portion of compilation:
;;;   ar cr libsockets.a
/private/var/folders/bZ/bZzxCBiyF0ec7xuYjNmSMk+++TI/-Tmp-/ECLINIT5W4NFx.o
/Users/red/Projects/ecl/ecl-git/build/ext/package.o
/Users/red/Projects/ecl/ecl-git/build/ext/sockets.o
;;; Note: Invoking external command:
The function ASDF:FIND-SYSTEM is undefined.
;;;   ranlib libsockets.aBroken at TOP-LEVEL. File:
#P"/Users/red/Projects/ecl/ecl-git/src/lsp/top.lsp" (Form #26)No restarts
available.
Top level.

I cannot make much of this error.  I noticed an earlier thread on this list
mentioned the same kind of error, but I did not understand the solution (it
involved setting LDFLAGS to -rpath=..., but rpath isnt' even an option in
the apple version of gcc.

Any idea what's going on here?  The error message doesn't really tell me
much about what's going wrong.  I am even more confused about why the
--disable-shared flag makes any difference.

So far I am successfully compiling --with-sockets... more features coming
soon.  I really want to get ASDF working so I can hook SLIME up to a remote
swank on the iPhone.

Best,
Red