[Ecls-list] Help cross-compiling ECL for ARM EABI (was: Can ECL run on the Nokia S60?)

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:45:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Elliott Slaughter
<elliottslaughter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I just compiled libgc1c2 myself, using the same toolchain and libc6
> version as I did for ECL, and it still crashes, so I guess we can conclude
> that the cause of the crash is something else during my build process.
> Any assistance would still be greatly appreciated.

ECL has been compiled directly on the ARM in the past, so I would say
this is not intrinsic to the architecture. The cross-compilation
process, on the other hand, may have been left behind by current
improvements in the code.

One thing that seems to be a must in many ARM environments is to
disable floating point exceptions completely. There is a flag to do
so.

Another thing that you mention in the email is that you left the
default values for the cross-compilation settings and this is not
really a good guess. Those values are telling the ECL build details
about the architecture of your system: direction of stack growth, size
of words and pointers, etc. These things are normally guessed by
running a program during configuration, but since you are
cross-compiling this is not an option. However, getting them right is
critical and putting the wrong values there will produce an useless
executable.