[Ecls-list] ECL shootout

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Wed Jun 24 06:35:39 UTC 2009

Marko Kocić writes:

> As for type inferencer, at (speed 3) SBCL is pretty verbose wrt type
> inference warnings. It makes it pretty easy to add few type
> declarations where inferencer can't infer type or where hint is wrong.
> How hard would it be to add something like that in ECL.

Actually that's not quite right. You do not get information from the
type inference. I tried to hack that up last weekend for fun, i.e. to
show to the user what types sbcl derived for all variables, values, and
intermediate results. Could be useful at times. Results of that
half-an-hour hack were mixed.

SBCL shows notes about missed opportunities to optimize. Of course this
is most often due to loose arguments' types.

  -T.