[Ecls-list] Huge patches being committed

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:59:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Claus Brod<claus.brod at googlemail.com> wrote:
> this is just to let you know that I'm very impressed by the hard work you're
> putting into ECL, and by how swiftly you're handling bug reports. (I was
> hoping to meet you at this year's European Lisp Symposium to buy you a
> couple of beers, but I guess that'll have to wait 8-) )

I am glad that you are happy about maintainance. Unfortunately I have
a pretty busy schedule this year, with June, July, August and
September full of conferences. Otherwise I would have dropped by.

> I've been pondering throwing my hat into the ring as a low-level maintainer
> for Windows builds. I didn't volunteer yet since I haven't gotten into the
> habit of regularly updating and building the code locally. I have some
> experience maintaining another KCL derivate, and most of my development work
> in on Windows.

That would be most welcome. I regret all problems with the Windows
port, and how I have been unable to preserve stability on that
platform, but I have not had a decent testing platform until a few
weeks ago, and even now MSVC's debugger is hard to deal with -- for a
gdb user, anyway.

My goal is to set up a server and improve the test farm with four
Windows variants (mingw, + 3 MSVC builds), working on a 4 or 8 hours
cycle, or just on demand, so that changes can be tested immediately.
How to do that efficiently is still a problem, but I think it is worth
trying.