[Ecls-list] examples or documentation on debugging...

Blair Sutton blairuk at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 5 22:10:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>wrote:

> > Found invalid character Soh
> > Broken at MAKE::LOAD-FILE-OPERATION. File:
> > #P"C:/maxima-5.18.1/lisp-utils/defsystem.lisp" (Form #226)
> > No restarts available.
> > Broken at MAKE::LOAD-FILE-OPERATION. File:
> > #P"C:/maxima-5.18.1/lisp-utils/defsystem.lisp" (Form #226)
> >>>>>>>>>

> > Are there any actions I can take that will help me find out where a
> problem
> > lies. For example how can I determine in which file the "invalid
> character"
> > Soh is? For that matter what character is "Soh" and why is it invalid?
> Also
> > what is the significance of the string "Form #226" and is it possible to
> get
> > some form of exception tracing showing lines numbers, file names and
> > function names?
>
> Jugding from the error message, "Found invalid character Soh", the 226th
> toplevel form in the file `defsystem.lisp' contains "#\Soh" which ECL
> does not know about.

Admittedly, the first thing I did when I got this error message was scan the
defsystem.lisp file for unusual ASCII characters like SOH as well as string
combinations like "soh" but couldn't find anything.

Is there an easy way to determine what the 226th top level form is? I can't
believe lisp programmers surely go through and compile the lisp code in
their heads and count the resulting forms whenever they reach an error like
the above?