[Ecls-list] [ANN] ECL 9.7.1

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Thu Jul 16 08:19:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Waldek
Hebisch<hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:

> While for OpenAxion details differ, the general
> pattern should be similar -- I am pretty sure that
> OpenAxiom build time is dominated by time to run Spad
> compiler.  From point of view of ECL Spad compiler is
> just another Lisp program...

One that uses lots macros, and rely on heavy uses of EVAL -- far
more than I would like.

> BTW: To the moment I was unable to get useful profile
> information about ECL compiled Spad compiler (all my
> profiling was done using SBCL).  The problem is using
> gprof on Linux I only get information about statically
> linked code.  But significant part of time is spent
> in libecl.  Unfortunalty, when I tried to link libecl
> statically it iterfered with ECL (and FriCAS) build
> process.  I managed once to get some profiles, but
> still to much code was in shared libraries, so the
> result was inconclusive.  Given that getting profiled
> version of ECL required a lot of manual tweaking
> I had no time to repeat the process to get better
> data...

If ECL, when compiled in profile mode, had the ability to link
programs statically,  even though when configured with
--enable-shared, that would not be much trouble for OpenAxiom.
But given the build time and the implication of restructuring
the build system, it is a bit of undertaking...

-- Gaby