[Ecls-list] [ANN] ECL 9.7.1

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:54:04 UTC 2009

Since nobody complained, I took the liberty to produce this release,
which is needed by other projects. If there are further problems, a
9.7.2 can be done.

A couple of remarks. With respect to the last week, the current
sources contain a important fix in the code that inlines functions
using C expressions. More precisely, there was a bug in the matcher
from argument types to inline forms. This actually made almost all
inline forms unused, even the safe ones. In other words, instead of
using the fast C macro CONS, we were calling cl_cons(), and instead of
the C library function sqrt(), we were using the generic cl_sqrt(),
etc, etc

On the ugly side, this means that if some of those inactive inline
forms now turn out to be not so safe and stable, ECL might reveal new
problems. However, on a cursory inspection, and after the usual stress
tests, I can see no significant problems ahead and instead a
noticeable speed up...

... ok, perhaps not for you Gabriel ;-) Actually, I am beginning to
think that the problems in OpenAxion are related to inefficiencies in
the compiler, not on ECL itself. 2 1/2 hours seems like a lot of time
to build...