[Ecls-list] New changes uploaded

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Fri Jul 10 05:06:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Juan Jose
Garcia-Ripoll<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the last weeks I have been travelling and had some time to hack the ECL
> compiler. I have been and am still working on type propagations, that is for
> instance inferring that the output of (+ 2 3.0) has to be a single float
> because the arguments are an integer and a single float, respectively.
>
> So far this phase was missing, or restricted to proclaimed functions with
> only one possible type of output. By adding type propagating functions ECL
> is slowly improving its knowledge about access to array, types of variables,
> arithmetics and so on.
>
> The results are so far promising. See below for a comparison of ECL with the
> previous release and other implementations. Of particular interest are
> precisely the test that involve the operations for which the type inference
> has been implemented, with the spectacular results in MANDELBROT, or in the
> arrays test.

that test is indeed interesting for the speed up.

I just finished an ECL-based build of OpenAxiom with CVS ECL.
I could not measure any difference in build time (2h30min, vs 26min for SBCL).
The testsuite took less than GCL-based build, but more time than SBCL-based
build.  It also has more failures (which appears to be ECL specific),
but they are not new.  Since a debug mode for ECL-based build takes
a long time to complete, I'm unlikely to investigate those before you make
the next release.

-- Gaby