[Ecls-list] How to build on Windows

Samium Gromoff _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Wed Jul 8 10:11:12 UTC 2009

From: Elliott Slaughter <elliottslaughter at gmail.com>
> Cygwin still doesn't work for me, even with the above repo and using
> '-mno-cygwin'.

Yes, this branch is mingw-only.

> With MinGW (GCC 4.4.0) I get quite a bit further, but fail after I
> build ecl_min.exe:
[snip]
> cp /ecl-mingw/src/../contrib/unicode/ucd.dat .
> if [ -f CROSS-COMPILER ]; then \
>         ./CROSS-COMPILER compile; \
> else \
>         ECLDIR=`pwd`/ ./ecl_min compile; \
> fi
> make[1]: *** [bin/ecl.exe] Error 5
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/ecl-mingw/build'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

First, I'd suggest you go with gcc 3.4.5, as per the "Candidate" mingw
branch. GCC 4.4 might very well work, but that's not what I test with.

MSYS version should be 1.0.11 -- earlier one works, but I'm not sure if its
/bin/make is 3.81 by default, which it should be.

Next, the configuration flags I use are:

  ./configure --prefix=... --enable-threads --build=pentium4-pc-mingw32

The --build is there to avoid configure script fooling itself into a
x86-64 build, when you are not running 64-bit windows _and_ have a 64-bit
capable CPU.

Finally, I would highly recommend performing a `make distclean' before you
attempt to reconfigure and rebuild.

All in all, it looks like your ecl_min.exe is segfaulting. Maybe gcc 4.4
is to blame.

regards, Samium Gromoff