[Ecls-list] flatinstall for linux

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Tue Jul 7 18:00:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:05:10 +0200
Marko Kocić <marko.kocic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you think it would make sense to introduce option similar to
> flatinstall on linux platforms? That
> will install all files into one self contained folder.
> Standard make install can put content of that folder in eg libdir, and
> create symbolic  links in
> includedir and bindir.
>
> Also, making ecl executable to find its libraries using relative
> paths, without need for ECLDIR or
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.?
>
> Keeping and invoking multiple installations of ecl will be much easier
> this way.
>
> Do you think it makes sense?

For testing I used things like

CFLAGS='-g -O0 -I/usr/local/boehm-gc/include'
LDFLAGS='-g -L/usr/local/boehm-gc/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/boehm-gc/lib -L/usr/local/ecl/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/ecl/lib'
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ecl ...

Which appeared to work fine, after of course building boehm-gc with
--prefix=/usr/local/borhm-gc in this case.  However, it would indeed be
nice if the build system supported something like
--with-boehm-gc-basedir=/usr/local/boehm-gc and --with-gmp-basedir=foo
and automatically appended the relevant -Wl,R<path> to LDFLAGS (which
add RPATH so that fiddling with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or ld.so.conf are
unnecessary)...
--
Matt