[Ecls-list] Missing thread-related diff :)

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Tue Jul 7 06:26:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:01:27 +0200
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 6.8 might work fine for you. I do not recall that we use any new
> feature from 7.1 except performance. Do not believe the webpage,
> though, it is quite out of date: they are now moving to 7.2!

So I could test HEAD ECL against boehm-gc 6.8 and the same problem
occurs.  Since ECL 8.12.0, inkscape and elinks work fine against the
7.1 I have, I guess that I really should take a look at the changes
between ECL 8.12.0 and HEAD when I can.  On the other hand, stalin (a
Scheme compiler) also appears to have the same problem.

> I would like to debug it, but NetBSD is refusing to run in VirtualBox
> for several years now. I will see if the new version, (3.0) fixes the
> problem.

True, it's unfortunate that VirtualBox only officially supports a few
OSs.  Several people I know would like to run netbsd-5 under it as
well.  Apparently it works fine under vmware and qemu, however.  Some
people also seem to manage to run netbsd-4 with hardware virtualization
enabled in VirtualBox, and netbsd-4 will be supported until the 6.0
release, but between netbsd-4 and netbsd-5 the locking, SMP and
threading subsystems also were rehauled.  They are different enough
that it probably isn't worth using netbsd-4 for ECL testing when
netbsd-5 is the current target.

Thanks,
--
Matt