[Ecls-list] Current HEAD hangs during compilation

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 5 22:27:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Gabriel Dos
Reis<gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
> In that case 'make clean' should just wipe out the 'build' directory.
> Or just remove the directory :-)
> (The more we ask the user, the more we insert uncomfortable barriers.)

Well, then we will get reports from people complaining that we removed
their build directory without asking :-) More seriously, I think this
might be a problem if somebody builds ECL out of place and we decide
just to clean up the whole directory without asking.

Perhaps one might decide a list of things to delete that might
interfere, and deleting something like *.fas, ecl/, c/, lsp/, clos/
etc before configuring again.

But really: would the following question be so awful?

"You intend to configure ECL but files from a previous build have been found.
In order to proceed, we need to delete these files and directories:
Can we proceed (Y/n)?"

After all, most users will not get to see this question: hopefully
they will get ECL from their distro, once we become mainstream :-) or
are experienced enough to dare use configure.