[Ecls-list] Current HEAD hangs during compilation

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 5 16:01:51 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Gabriel Dos
Reis<gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
>  This build directory issue seems to be recurring.  Maybe ECL should
> have 'make clean' remove any of those leftovers, whereas 'make mostlyclean'
> have the current behaviour of 'make clean'?

I am not sure that solves it all.

The problem is that the configuration process is complex and its
dependencies can not be encoded into the makefile. For instance,
cmp/cmpdefs.lsp and ecl/config.h are created during configuration time
from ecl/config.pre and cmp/cmpdefs.pre which are created from
ecl/config.h.in and cmp/cmpdefs.lsp.in

If you want to rebuild the sanest thing is to do "rm -rf build;
./configure ..." Any sort of partial cleaning will not help and it
does not require less typing. A full rebuild on my laptop (ensuring I
have GMP and the Boehm-Weiser gc installed) takes no more than 5
minutes.

Probably the most logical thing to do is to refuse compiling until the
build directory has been deleted. Or we could ask the user whether
they want it to be deleted by the configuration script.