[Ecls-list] ECL shootout

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Fri Jul 3 07:06:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Juan Jose
Garcia-Ripoll<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Gabriel Dos
> Reis<gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
>> All it implies is that an ECL-base standalone program (including
>> the ecl binary itself) be statically linked.  Is that workable?
>
> I think that is too limiting. On OSX I do not have problems profiling
> shared libraries.

Sorry I was unclear: I do expect that on those platforms such as
OSX, you would continue to do as before.  It only on platforms
such as linux, and I suspect *BSD that shared libraries are not
profiled correctly.

> Can't you just combine --disable-shared with the  other flag?

As I explained in an earlier message, displacing those details
onto the user usually places a higher risk of getting the wrong
result, when in fact configure can automatically do the right
thing.

(I['ve seen that many times with CLISP which asks for various
combinations of configure flags just to be able to get FFI
working correctly.  That has caused confusions, leading to its
dismissal in face of alternatives.)

-- Gaby