[Ecls-list] ECL shootout

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Wed Jul 1 23:51:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Juan Jose
Garcia-Ripoll<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Gabriel Dos
> Reis<gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
>> Oops.  Yes, of course, any other name that is appropriate is fine.
>> I'm refraining from suggesting --enable-profiling because that is not
>> what it is doing.  Or maybe --enable-profiling-flags?
>
> What about something like --with-extra-cflags="..." This would allow
> experimenting with other flags, since debugging and profiling flags
> are not uniform across all compilers.

I agree that debugging flags vary from compiler brands to compiler
brands.  However, having the user (builder) to explicitly specify
the profiling flags needed has to be coordinated by the user who does not
always know the properties of the C compiler detected by configure.
I think we need a flag that most of the time conservatively *infers*
the right flags to build ECL to support profiling.  We may however
need a way to overrule configure, along the line you suggest.

-- Gaby