[Ecls-list] how to get the version number from the ecl-console?

Oliver Kullmann O.Kullmann at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Jan 9 16:03:23 UTC 2009

Hello,

normally one would expect to be able to call

ecl --version

obtaining an answer like

ECL version 8.12.0

however such a functionality seems not to be available?

It would seem to me rather a must-have. How else do I
automatically check whether an ecl-binary is working
and has the right version number?

I also tried to run ecl in batch mode (so that then
from the output I can extract the line with the version
number), but the help

> ./ecl --help
Usage: ecl [-? | --help]
           [-dir dir] [-load file] [-shell file] [-eval expr] [-rc | -norc] [-hp | -nohp]
           [[-o ofile] [-c [cfile]] [-h [hfile]] [-data [datafile]] [-s] [-q]
            -compile file]
           [[-o ofile] -link file+]

doesn't say much to me, and -eval doesn't seem to yield a batch-mode?

Oliver